Friday, December 30, 2011

On New Year's Resolutions

You all know how glad I am that 2011 is coming to a close.  Stupid 2011.  But last night, I was pondering the concept of NY Resolutions. 

I think they're a fabulous idea.  In practice though, rarely pan out.  So what's the point?  It goes back to Yoda.  Do or do not.  There is no try.  If you're going to do something, it has to be more important to you than just some random thing you decided on in a drunken stupor on NYE.  It has to be something that means something to you.

Like my weight loss.  I have been fat my whole life.  I never remember not being at least somewhat overweight.  It was just part of who I was.  No big deal.  And then I became an adult, and all physical activity stopped.  So instead of being somewhat overweight, I was on the edge of being my own Discovery Channel special.  (Discovery Channel fat kid.)  I tried to lose weight multiple times, but it was always for someone else.  My parents, my husband, my theoretical unborn child.  It wasn't until I sat in that doctor's office with the threat of medication that actually makes you gain weight as a side effect that I realized I HAD to do something.  If I gained any more weight, I would die.  Not "omg lol I'm gonna die!"  But honest to goodness, my heart would give out because I'm so fat, going to die.  Disassemble.  Dead. 

Now, I don't think everyone needs threat of death as motivation for a NY resolution.  But if you're not going to actually stick with it, save us all the annoyance of hearing about it for two weeks and just accept that you don't need to make one.  If you're hell-bent on sticking with it (whatever it is) and you are for real going to make some changes, more power to you.  I support you in your endeavors, and sincerely hope you reach your goal.

My resolution?  I don't actually have one.  I would like to lose at least 60 pounds to match the 60 I already lost.  But I'm not calling it a 'resolution.'  I'm calling it...well, life.  I am not on a diet, I'm not doing this just for a while.  I've changed the way I live, eat, and act.  So this is just a continuation of that.

And in case I haven't said it before, 2011 can bite me, and I'm glad to see it leave.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Diets suck! I love living a healthy life, and I'm glad that you and 1 of 4 are doing it with me :)
    Favorite part: "Disassemble. Dead." You're so awesome.

    ReplyDelete